Motif ES 8 and linux

Last year (or maybe two years ago) I purchased a Yamaha ES8 workstation. It's been a great tool, although I just started using it last week after about 4-5 months of disuse. One thing I've been wanting to do was start editing/mixing and otherwise integrating the workstation with my PC.

The big problem is that I run Ubuntu linux at home. On the yamaha site, their software appears only for windows and Mac. Since I a big geek at heart I thought I'd see how far I can get anyway.

For my first step, I thought I'd plug the Motif into the USB port and see what happened... Well, nothing. lsusb didn't even return it as a device. However, dmesg reported a new device.

[67560.034283] usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
[67562.707240] usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[67562.803313] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

So, just for grins, I restarted the ES with the USB already connected. This seemed to allow the usb subsystem in linux to now see it. lsusb now returns:

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 045e:006a Microsoft Corp.
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1267:0103 Logic3 / SpectraVideo plc G-720 Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0499:1023 Yamaha Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8197 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000


So it seems we're now getting somewhere. In order to start easy, I thought I'd boot a windows virtualbox session and add this usb device to see if I could you the "out of the box" yamaha software.

So I downloaded the full fledged virtualbox deb from Sun. I already had the open source virtualbox that is included with the ubuntu 8.04 repos installed and I needed to uninstall this before installing the full version. After doing this, I went to the USB tab and added the detected yamaha device to the options.

When I booted into my XP virtualbox session, it detected the new hardware, so I tried to autoinstall. It didn't work so I clicked finish and went to plan B which is to install the software manually.

So I unzipped the usb midi driver to a temp directory, went through the add new hardware wizard and rebooted my machine. I then proceeded to start installing some of the other software I downloaded from the yamaha web site.

First off the voice editor (version 2.2): Being adventurous I tried to install from withing the zip file without first unzipping. First problem I noticed after installation is that it appears to be for the ES6... not sure if that's a problem, but the bigger issue is that is didn't appear to work. My start menu has a broken link to the voice editor user manual, but not software.

A quick search of the web indicates I should have followed the directions (or read them) as it appears the part editor requires the studio manager. Next, hoping I hadn't already screwed things up, I installed that.

On a side note, I discovered I needed to install acrobat reader as all the manuals are in PDF. It seems like a nice option might be to export manuals as html for folks who are viewing them and not printing them. PDF is just kinda sucky on a widescreen monitor and a 33mb download to read a text file seems a bit excessive to me. On another note, the default acrobat installer installs some sort of download manager, just what I needed, more stuff to go wrong on my pc. Well, at least it's just a virtual image and I won't lose stuff outside my VM.

Back on track though I soon discovered I had installed an ancient version of the USB MIDI driver. I had to uninstall the old one and reinstall the new one.

Well, this is as far as I could get so far. For some reason my virtualbox copy of XP cannot interact with the yamaha MIDI device. I think I may send a note to the yamaha folks to see if they can give me a hand and I'll also try to read the F'n manual to see if I missed a critical step.

I'll keep you posted as updates happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Push versus pull deployment models

the myth of asynchronous JDBC

Installing virtualbox guest additions on Centos 7 minimal image